Here are some quick notes for today’s chat on Changing Roles in Documentation Departments.
There’s more content to manage. Not just in-house docs. Will perhaps be scanning and collecting online content. Find the information that people need to do their jobs and use your product.
Monitoring and Managing UGC
Is someone assigned to monitor social media mentions. If so, always one person? Switch off during the day? Full days?
How do you address real-time doc needs?
– UGC: establish guidelines for submittals and content
– UGC: determine procedures for correcting or removing info
– Planning for soc media crisis situation
– Review legal requirements
– Daily scrums: app and doc changes
– Writer involvement
Seems like editing time more limited. How has that role changed?
A team of generalists, or specialists in specific areas?
– Doc planning/strategy: the person that sets up templates, coding, etc.
– More technical: XML/coding specialist
– Content management
– Mobile content
– Community Manager: wikis, social media
– Social media: Twitter, Facebook, blogs
– Evangelist: reaching out to other departments in the company and outside world via social media and online communities
How do you manage all this?
Have your job requirements been changing due to new tech and methodologies? What would you like to see?